Saturday, October 5, 2013

A Gluten Free Soft Wrap




I've tried so many different recipes for gluten free wraps.  Some tasted good but I didn't find the texture pleasing to me.  Some had a good texture, but not for very long.  As they cooled, the texture changed.  I know that I could make beautiful wraps if I used rice flour but for me, rice flour is out.  I'm not exactly happy about the high levels of arsenic in rice flour but it also has a high glycemic index.  Besides the gluten intolerance, I am diabetic also and able to control the amount of meds I take through a low glycemic index diet.  I need to limit the amount of rice intake so rice flour is out for me.  When a gluten free recipe calls for rice flour, I substitute oat flour, sorgham flour or almond flour/meal or sometimes a combination. These don't give the smooth texture as rice flour but they work.  I find that oat and sorghum gluten free flours have a neutral flavor.

This wrap recipe is very easy to make, has protein, and is pliable.  It is more like a crepe rather than a flour wrap.  Until I find a recipe that is more like a flour wrap or tortilla, I'll stick with this one.  But note, I'm not through experimenting.  This recipe is a combination of a recipe by Gluten Free Recipe Box and Healthy Indulgences.  I changed Carla's recipe with substitutions of other flours, less milk, and rotating pan while cooking.  I liked the taste and the flax seed meal in Lauren's wrap but I found it more complicated to make and in time, the wraps I made from her recipe got tough and chewy when reheating.

This converted recipe has a neutral taste which will not interfer with the taste of ingredients in the wrap but  can be changed by adding spices or herbs to the batter.  If it needs to be sweeter, when used in desserts like crepes, 1/4 to 1 teaspooon of sugar, honey, or molasses can be used in the batter.  Also, note that I used 3 different flours in the batter.  One gluten free flour type could be used or the batter could be made from gluten free oat flour or almond flour.  I like the bean, millet and quinoa because with the eggs, the wrap has plenty of protein.  Also note, this batter does not require the use of xanthan or guar gum.


Linda's Interpretation of a Soft Wrap  (makes 6-8 wraps, depending on size of pan)

1/2 cup potato starch (or arrowroot starch or cornstarch)
1/4 cup bean flour
1/4 cup millet flour
1/4 cup quinoa flour
1 tablespoon flax seed meal 
1/2-3/4 teaspoon salt
2 large eggs, beaten
1 cup milk of choice


1.  In a medium bowl, whisk the dry ingredients together.  (Note that you can see the different colors of the flours and meals)

The dark substance is flax meal





















2.  Whisk the eggs and milk together until frothy.  Combine the milk mixture to the flours, constantly whisking.  Let the batter rest for at least 15 minutes.

Frothy eggs and milk whisked
Egg mixture and flours whisked

























3.  Preheat the skillet over medium heat.  (Spray the skillet lightly with olive oil and then wipe the pan out with a paper towel.  This seems to help move the wrap more easily.  I only did this for the first wrap).  Pour 1/4 cup of batter into a 9-in skillet and rotate the pan away from heat so that the batter is distributed around the edges of the pan and does not accumulate in the center.  This keeps the wrap from being thick in the center. Put the pan back on the heat and brown for 1-2 minutes on each side until browned. Place the cooked wrap on parchment lined wire rack to cool.
Ready to eat wrap

Cooking  wrap

                                                                                                       


4.  Repeat with the remaining batter, whisking batter again before measuring batter into pan.


The batter can be stored in the refrigerator, to use within a couple days.  Wraps whould be store in the refrigerator between parchment paper, wax paper, or foil.  They can also be frozen.

The wraps need to be warmed before using.  To warm the wraps, reheat in a skillet.  Reheating in the microwave may make them tough.

To save time, I have put the dry ingredients in a ziplock bag and then only need to add milk and eggs to make the wraps.  I could even take them  on the road this way.

Again, I'm still working on a wrap which will be more like a flour tortilla wrap without using rice flour and as few calories as possible.

I found a 9 1/2 inch non-stick skillet in Home Goods for a very reasonable price.  Find it also on Amazon.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment