Sunday, March 8, 2015

Make It Sourdough - Gluten Free Sourdough Morning Glory Muffins







Finding the Morning Glory Muffins Recipes

I came across a recipe by accident on the Whole Foods website. These are great recipes and you won't be able to eat just one. One of the recipes is for gluten free Morning Glory muffins. The second recipe is not gluten free but the recipe for whole wheat Morning Glory muffins shows how to lighten up the sugar and oil in the Morning Glory muffins with sweet potato puree and applesauce.

The first time I made the gluten free Morning Glory muffins (from Whole Foods), I made a few substitutions:
  1.  I changed half the granulated sugar for Stevia in the Raw and used Splenda brown sugar blend,
cutting the amount of brown sugar in half.
  2.  Because I had no zest and a low amount of honey, I felt that there wasn't enough acid in the batter to support the reaction of the baking soda, especially with so much veggies, fruit and nuts. I substituted baking powder for the baking soda.
  3.  To help with binding and nutrition, I added two tablespoons of seed dust.
  4.  I cut the recipe in half. (I always cut a recipe in 1/4 or 1/2 when testing.) Therefore, I needed 1 and 1/2 eggs. Rather than use half an egg, I used two tablespoons of liquid egg whites. There were no other changes when I first tried this recipe and the muffins were fantastic!

I then discovered the whole wheat lighten-up Morning Glory muffins and made notes to test the sweet potato puree and applesauce the next time I made the muffins.

Making the Morning Glory Muffins Sourdough

I was thinking about these muffins and wondered if I could make them sourdough. That would automatically make the muffin's glycemic index lower. With a few substitutions, I used a variation of a basic soudough muffin recipe. I had tried the recipe several times before  and still couldn't perfect it to my satisfaction.  The muffins were way to sour, not sweet enough and just wouldn't rise correctly. I don't use rice flour so I was trying to perfect it using other gluten free flours. I thought it was just going to take time -- well, maybe.

The Sponge

Making some newer adjustments, I made the sponge with 1 cup of my sourdough starter, 1 1/2 gluten-free all-purpose flour blend of sorghum flour, gluten free oat flour, corn flour (masa harina) and tapioca starch/flour. Other ingredients in the sponge were warm water (or whey or milk) and a small amount of honey (1 tablespoon). (I get the whey from yogurt that I make myself). I let the sponge form for about 7 hours. Letting the sponge form for only 7 hours provides a less sour taste. Remember,  making anything with wild yeast sourdough takes planning ahead.

Besides being lower glycemic, these muffins are full of vegetables, fruit and nuts. The sourdough starter is made using wild yeast, whole grains and the added gluten free flour blend is part whole grains. The muffins are full of probiotics and good for you. (Research shows that killed probiotics are still good for you).They are excellent for breakfast, snacking and any time of the day.




           
                                         
                                                    Dough from gluten free flour blend, whey, and sourdough
                                                   starter before sponge forms. Below, the photo shows how
                                                   water is placed in a small glass pitcher, heated and the bowl
                                                of dough is placed on top of the pitcher of hot water. The
                                                microwave door is closed to contain the heat.  This works
                                   great until I eventually get a proofing box.



                                                































The sponge has formed and a dome, which is difficult to see
has formed. The difference in color was not a chemical reaction.
 It is due to the reduced amount of light in my kitchen later in
the day; therefore, there is  more artificial yellow light.

These muffins are magical because they taste so good. If you don't want to go the sourdough route, try the Whole Foods recipes. They are excellent also. My two- year-old grandson really likes these muffins, even the sourdough ones. If you don't use my starter recipe, I'm sure yours will work. Just make sure the starter is 100% hydration.  Otherwise, the batter will be runny. Don't be afraid to experiment. 



Sourdough Morning Glory Muffins


Ingredients:

1 cup (~200 grams) sourdough starter
1 1/2 cup (183 grams) gluten free flour blend
1 tablespoon (21.25 grams) honey
1/3 cup(118 g) water, milk (122g) or whey
----------------------------------------------------
2 tablespoons (20 grams) seed dust with psyllium
1 teaspoon (4 grams) cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon (3 grams) baking soda
1 1/2 teaspoon (8 grams) baking powder
1 egg, lightly beaten
2 tablespoons melted butter (or olive oil)
2 tablespoons unsweetened applesauce
3 tablespoons honey
2 tablespoon brown sugar 
1/2 cup grated carrots
1/2 cup grated zucchini
1/4 cup chopped nuts
1/4 cup seedless raisins or currents
1/4 cup shredded coconut
1/2 teaspoon grated orange zest
1/2 apple, peeled or unpeeled, cored and finely chopped or shredded

Directions:

Combine sourdough starter, gluten free flour blend, water and honey. Mix with whisk for 1-2 minutes. Place in a warm place to bubble and form a sponge for 7-12 hours. 

When the batter has bubbled and formed a sponge, preheat the oven to 350℉. Place paper cups in a muffin pan and spray bottoms of cups with non-stick spay.

In a small bowl, beat eggs, butter and honey. Sprinkle the seed dust, cinnamon, salt, baking soda and baking powder on the sponge. Whisk in the dry ingredients. Pour in the wet ingredients and whisk in.

Fold in carrots, zucchini, chopped nuts, raisins, coconut, zest and apple. 

With ice cream scoop, scoop batter into each cup. Bake for 22 minutes. Before 20 minutes are up, test with toothpick. Muffins are done when the toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.

For Lower Sugar Muffins
2 tablespoons honey
2 tablespoons Stevia in the Raw or choice of sweetener
1 tablespoon Splenda brown sugar blend
The applesauce also adds sweetness even though it is unsweetened.

For Lower Fat Muffins
I substituted applesauce for half the fat. I prefer the small amount of fat because it helps with tenderness and moisture. Some bakers substitute all the fat for the applesauce. It is a matter of choice.



Servings:
 Makes 12 large muffins or 15 medium. (Time above is for medium size. Large size will require longer time.)



Since the apple, carrots and zucchini are grated, they
are barely seen in the muffins. These are wonderful!   



The Next Thing
I will eventually try the sweet potato puree, but I decided to shred the sweet potato and substitute it for the shredded carrot and zucchini. I used pumpkin pie spice ( all spice, ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg), not just cinnamon for the sweet potato muffins. I left out the apple. The rest of the recipe remained  the same.

Oh my gosh, they are so good. I knew they would be good because the smell in the kitchen while they were baking was fabulous. I had the orange for zest this time. It certainly adds to the great flavor. There are so many wonderful flavors in this muffin. I haven't tried yet, but I am assuming that shredded butternut squash and shredded pumpkin can be substituted for the sweet potato in my  recipe and those of Whole Foods.

You just have to try these muffins. You will make them time and time again! 

Sourdough sweet potato muffins with all the goodness of
sweet potato, currents, applesauce, nuts, shredded coconut,
and pumpkin pie flavors. 


Resources:

"A Collection of Sourdough Muffin Recipes." Collection of Sourdough Muffin Recipes. N.p., n.d. Web. 06 Mar. 2015. <http://www.culturesforhealth.com/sourdough-muffin-recipes>

Alvarez-Olmos, Martha I. "Probiotic Agents and Infectious Diseases: A Modern Perspective on a Traditional Therapy." Clinical Infectious Diseases 32.11 (2001): 1567-576. Web.<http://repository.usu.ac.id/bitstream/123456789/15646/1/mkn-des2006-%20(7).pdf>

"Gluten-Free Morning Glory Muffins." Whole Foods Market. N.p., n.d. Web. 06 Mar. 2015. <http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/recipe/gluten-free-morning-glory->

Kane, Sharon A. The Art of Gluten-Free Sourdough Baking. N.p.: EBookIt.com, 2012. <www.glutenfreesourdough.com.> 2012. Web. 28 Feb. 2015.

"Lightened-Up Whole Grain Morning Glory Muffins." Whole Foods Market. N.p., n.d. Web. 06 Mar. 2015. <http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/recipe/lightened-whole-grain-morning-glory-muffins>

Nature.com. Nature Publishing Group, n.d. Web. 06 Mar. 2015.
<http://www.nature.com/pr/journal/v66/n2/full/pr2009188a.html>

"Sourdough Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffins." Sourdough Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffins. N.p., n.d. Web. 06 Mar. 2015. <http://www.culturesforhealth.com/sourdough-pumpkin-chocolate-chip-muffins-recipe>

 "Top 10 Reasons to Eat Sourdough Bread." N.p., n.d. Web. 06 Mar. 2015.
<http://cookusinterruptus.com/blog/?p=4245>

Disclosure statement: I have not received compensation for any products mentioned or used in this post.

No comments:

Post a Comment