Saturday, July 28, 2012

Life Happens

I loved my career as a science teacher, though I didn't start as a science teacher.  I started my career as a Family and Consumer Science teacher.  When I started teaching, the position was called a home economics teacher.  In the late 80's, I returned to school and spent the equivelent of 4 more years taking science and math courses to become a science teacher.  It was a good choice for me.  My completely right brain became more left brained.  My last twenty-five years of teaching were spent teaching chemistry, physics, physical science and earth science.

When I begin thinking about retiring, I wanted to teach part-time.  So, I prepared myself to begin teaching science online courses for -- and that is as far as I got.  My mother became ill and needed 24/7 care. Since retirement, I have spent most of my time at the coast of NC taking care of my mother.

I have several other interests besides teaching.  I like to read for fun.  That was almost impossible while I was teaching.  I was serious about keeping those papers graded and tutoring students who needed help to understand the science courses I was teaching.  But now, I have started making dolls for ragdolls2love.com.  I also enjoy making blankets for the Project Linus.  I knit, crochet, or quilt the blankets for all ages.  I have been able to work on these projects and also take care of my mother.  I crochet and knit hats for the Coats for the Children project.  For now, these projects give me a since of helping others.  In the process, I am also using up my mother's fabrics and yarn in her sewing room.  My mother had to have a no to low sodium diet.  To help with this diet, I learned how to use many spices

In this new adventure, I thought that I might find a way to share the ideas and lesson plans and science activities.

No comments:

Post a Comment