Saturday, August 11, 2012

My Father, the Quartermaster Unit Postmaster in WWII







I wouldn't call myself a World War II history buff but I have been very interested in the history for several years.  My biological father was killed in the War in France before I was born.  That story I will tell later.  My step-father, James W. Joyner was the only father I knew.  He and my mother married when I six months old.

Recently, I found some family history about James Joyner.  I was scanning lots of family pictures and l found an album of his activities in the war.  I had forgotten where the pictures were taken.  After several days of research on the web, I found some information.

A year or so after high school graduation, my father, James W. Joyner, volunteered and joined the Army Air Corp.  In his own words,






I am so sorry that I never asked my father, James Joyner,  what happened next but I do know that he ended up in an Army Quartermaster Unit in Labador.  He became the quartermaster postmaster.  The pictures above show the post office APO 691.  I have not completely finished reading about Army Quartermaster Units but their job in the war was to supply products such food, clothing, petroleum products and other general products needed by the US Army  They also collected and repaired articles, being responsible for discarding and recycling materials that could no longer be used.  Other responsibilities were to provide bath and laundry facilities, and identify and bury the dead. The unit in Labador, I believe, furnished petroleum products. 









Most of the photgraphs have a stamp on the back.







The following photos were taken at Hicks Field.


In 2003, James Joyner died of a stroke.  He loved life and taught us, by his example,  to be a responsible citizen in all factors of life and take care of all people  because "we are our brother's keeper".  He was a good man.  I loved him dearly.

From the research, the following two items helped me the most in understanding the history.  I rarely let my students use wikipedia in research, but this item helped me put the history together from the bits and pieces of information I remembered.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hicks_Airfield

http://www.history.army.mil/html/books/010/10-14/CMH_Pub_10-14.pdf

No comments:

Post a Comment